Lessons with Elizabeth
Do you ever feel like your fingers won’t move fast enough?
Are you struggling to find your own beautiful sound?
Have you ever felt unsure about those complicated rhythms you see in your music?
I’ve been there too, and I’d love to help you!
If you love music and want to improve on your instrument, you belong here. Everyone has to start somewhere, and I want to meet you wherever you are right now! I’ve worked with students from age 8 to 83, so whether you’re young or young-at-heart I can help you with your musical goals in lessons that are designed
just for you.
In lessons, you will:
- Learn and master my #1 Most Important Rule of All Music All the Time Ever (If you already know how to count, it’s easier than you think!)
- Learn how to find your own most beautiful sound.
- Learn how to make your fingers fly!
- Learn why your everyday breathing isn’t working for your instrument, and then discover the secret to breathing like a musician.
- Learn about tonguing: what does that mean? Why is it important? What does it have to do with bread?
- Learn about how to deal with those performance nerves, and why it’s OK to feel that way.
- Learn how to make music an everyday habit!
Welcome to your lesson!
- First, we’ll chat about how your week has been - what awesome things happened to you? What was maybe not-so-awesome that I can help you with?
- Then we’ll get into how the week has been for your practicing - what worked? What didn’t? How can we make the good parts into a habit for you?
- Lessons aren’t a lecture, they’re a conversation! Once we start playing, we’ll spend a lot of time talking about what you hear and feel while you’re playing, and what you like or don’t like about it. Then we'll talk about what to keep and what to change, how to fix the stuff you don’t like, and how to be your own teacher at home.
- At the end of each lesson, you’ll get an email including notes from your lesson, ideas and techniques for practicing, and your assignment for the week. Come to your lessons well-prepared and with an open mind and you’ll be amazed at how quickly you improve!
In addition to practicing by yourself (I know that it’s not always the most exciting thing!) you’ll have assignments where you play duets (or even trios or quartets) with me using our Chamber Music Karaoke recordings.
Students will show off their work in a recital at the end of each semester and will have opportunities to enjoy their success preparing for a variety of auditions and competitions.
Join the chamber music program to play in small ensembles with other studio members! At monthly rehearsals, you'll get the opportunity to play other members of the flute family, and your group will show off at the recital each semester!
Weekly Lessons - Semester Enrollment:
Are you just starting out on your instrument and want to create a solid foundation? Have you been playing for a couple of years and want to start making big improvements with weekly lessons? Semester enrollment is for you!
Here are the important details:
- 18 weekly lessons per semester - semesters start in September and February each year
- 45 or 60 minute lessons
- Time off for school breaks and holidays built into the schedule - no stress about rescheduling those lessons!
- In-person students participate in the end-of-term recital to show off their work
- Flexible summer scheduling!
- Discounted tuition for 18-lesson package (prorated if you start mid-semester!)
Currently accepting enrollment for 2 new students on Tuesdays.
Do you have a busy schedule that makes weekly lessons a challenge?
Or maybe you want lessons further apart in order to have more time to prepare?
Flex lessons are for you!
- Purchase a package of four lessons to schedule at times that are convenient for you
- 45 or 60 minute lessons
- Take lessons online from your home - no commute!
- Can’t schedule all your lessons right away? No problem - you’ll have 90 days to use your lesson package
Now accepting new flex lesson students - purchase your flex lesson package now!
The chamber music program is an add-on in person package in addition to regular tuition.
As an ensemble member, you will:
- Attend 5 one-hour rehearsals (about once per month) with your assigned ensemble, coached by Elizabeth
- Share your polished performance at the end-of-semester recital
- Strengthen ensemble playing skills: blend, balance, intonation
- Gain confidence in playing your unique part independently
- Develop sight-reading skills
- Have the opportunity to try piccolo, alto flute, or bass flute!
The chamber music program is closed for the Fall 2023 Semester - contact me if you’d like to join the waiting list for Spring 2024 ensembles!
Frequently Asked Questions
Hey Elizabeth, where do you teach?
In-person lessons are available (proof of COVID-19 vaccination required) in Redmond, WA near Sunrise Elementary. Online lessons using Zoom are available worldwide!
How does flex lesson scheduling work?
When you've completed the checkout process you'll receive a message from me with all the information about our next steps. You will be able to choose your lesson times via Calendly. These are based on my availability - currently that's usually Mondays and Tuesdays!
What if I need to reschedule a lesson?
I get it, life happens sometimes! If you're enrolled for a semester there's one freebie cancellation built into the schedule. If you have any other schedule conflict, just email me 48 hours before your lesson to reschedule for a different time.
Is it possible to buy flex lessons more than once?
Absolutely - I'm always happy to see students again. You simply need to purchase a lesson package again and we'll go from there!
Semester enrollment sounds great, but how do I know this will be a good fit?
If you've never worked with me before, we'll start with an introductory lesson. We’ll get to know each other a bit and you can get to know my teaching style before you decide if my studio is the right fit for you. If you think we’re a good fit, I’ll help you complete the next steps to enroll for the rest of the semester!
I have another question!
Contact me if you have any other questions about lessons - I want to make sure you have all the info you need before signing up!